The Steam Engines of Oz is an Alternate Oz sci-fi steampunk comic series that is written by Sean Patrick O'Reilly, Erik Hendrix, and Yannis Roumboulias. After raising money from a Kickstarter campaign, the series made its first issue debut as a part of Free Comic Book Day 2013. The series is a semi-sequel to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz which takes place around 100 years where technology has heavily advanced. An animated film adaption is set to be released on June 5th, 2018 and was produced by the same company which publishes the series, Arcana Studio.
"A century after the Wicked Witch was killed, The Emerald City is ruled by a once-revered hero (Tin Woodman an ice-witch rules over the North, the Lions overrun the forests, evil twins approach from the West, and secrets hide in every shadow. Salvation for Oz comes from the unlikely wrench of young Victoria Wright, with the help of a father searching for his lost sons, a hero seeking redemption, an ill-mannered Munchkin (or three), and other friends along the way. Victoria comes to find that the smallest of actions can have much larger implications, and the most insignificant of us can change the world."
- The Steam Engines Of Oz Volume 1 (November 19th, 2013)
- The Steam Engines of Oz Volume 2: The Geared Leviathan (April 1st, 2014)
- The Steam Engines of Oz Hardcover Edition: Collects Volumes 1 and 2 (September 9th 2014)
- Victoria Wright, Ozma's daughter
- Phaddrig Digg, Oscar's brother
- Cora and Eden, Mombi's daughters
- Magnus, one of Lion's descendants
- Tin Man
- Cowardly Lion
- Oscar Diggs
- Nimmie Amee
- Jack Pumpkinhead
- Flashback: Dorothy and Toto
- Mentioned: Mombi, the Wicked Witch of the West
- It is unclear if Dorothy ever returned in this version and Glinda is never mentioned.
- Toto is shown as being a small white dog instead of a black one.
- It can be assumed that Wizard and his brother never left Oz.
- Ozma's family is said to have ruled for centuries, and she may have been on the throne prior to the Wizard's arrival. It is noted that Jack Pumpkinhead is not considered to be her royal heir while Victoria is.
- As of the end to the second volume, Victoria has yet to meet Ozma who is presumably her mother.
- A brief reference is made to Grampa in Oz with the Tin Man going to Gorba’s Garden.
- Though only mentioned, the Wicked Witch of the West and Mombi are combined