Oz Squad is an Oz comic book series by Steve Ahiquist that ran for ten issues from 1991-1996. It follows the adventures of the four main characters from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, who had moved to America and become superheroes. The first three books were published by Brave New Worlds with the others published by Patchwork Press (no connection to the Patchwork Girl).
The series takes place years after the events of the Famous Forty and World War II. Dorothy has become an adult. The other
characters have also gone through tremendous changes, and are all living in America.
Time travel occured at one point and had
- Dorothy Gale
- Nik Chopper - The Tin Woodman has received major technological upgrades since we last saw him.
- Cowardly Lion - The lion not only has his courage, but can now take the appearance of a Human and has great strength.
- Tik-Tok - His programming malfunctions when he visits America and he goes on a rampage.
- The Internal Clockwork Morality Spring
- Assault on Castle Munikhouson
- Escape from Castle Munikhausen
- New Tok City
- Doomed Train of Mystery
- Journey to Innocence
- The Origin of Tin-Man Part One*
- Oz Squad Special
- Little Oz Squad
- It is unclear if there was a Part Two for issue nine
In 2009, all issues were released as The Complete Annotated Oz Squad. In 2011, the series rebooted with a sequel e-book novel called Oz Squad: March of the Tin Solders written by the orginial author that is intended to be the first of a book series. (listing on Lulu.com
- This is the second known adaptation to have Dorothy become a mother including A Barnstormer in Oz.
- A profressor from Pittsburg State University reviewed the series for the The Baum Bugle and described it as " worthless and disgusting" for its mature tones. Interestly enough after the 2009 re-release, the magazine compared it to Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West and suggested that "there was little else like it, but post-Wicked, it seems groundbreaking and not nearly as outrageous as it did at the time".